Consumer Financial Services Print PDF
PIB represents many of the nation’s leading banks, lenders, loan servicers, insurance companies and other consumer financial services companies in connection with government investigations, examinations, enforcement actions and class action litigation. We advise our clients on compliance with federal and state laws, and in all aspects of their consumer financial products and services, including mortgage, credit card, auto and student lending and servicing; and deposit-related and ancillary products.
State and federal regulatory compliance is an integral part of our practice. With respect to federal compliance issues, PIB Law has experience with HUD and the Federal Reserve Board, and is fully conversant in the Real Estate Settlement Procedures Act (“RESPA”), Truth in Lending Act (“TILA”), Home Ownership and Equity Protection Act (“HOEPA”), Fair Housing Act, Equal Credit Opportunity Act, Fair Credit Reporting Act and Home Mortgage Disclosure Act. Our state law practice includes researching and analyzing mortgage banking, real property, consumer protection, and consumer finance laws in all 50 states and the District of Columbia.
We provide a full range of compliance related services, including:
- Assisting companies to implement new federal and state laws, regulations and rules impacting direct and indirect consumer lending.
- Analyzing existing company policies and procedures to determine compliance with federal and state laws, regulations and rules.
- Drafting company policies and procedures for direct and indirect consumer lending.
- Reviewing consumer finance marketing materials for compliance with state and federal law, including the federal Truth in Lending Act and state unfair and deceptive trade practices acts.
- Conducting in-house training seminars at consumer finance institutions concerning federal and state compliance issues.
In enforcement matters, PIB Law offers both general and case-by-case counseling services to assist clients in avoiding and defending administrative and other governmental proceedings. We provide general advice and counseling, and perform due diligence and quality control reviews. We also represent consumer finance lenders and purchasers of retail installment sales contracts in connection with government audits, state examinations, and consumer matters forwarded for response by state regulators and state attorneys general.
News & Insights
- New York State Court Finds Bank Has Standing to Foreclose Against Defendant Borrower on Multiple Grounds Despite Alleged "Newly Discovered Evidence"The PIB Legal Blog, 06.13.2018
- SEC Launches New Search Tool to Identify Individuals with Enforcement Records While the CFPB Considers Ending Public Access to ComplaintsThe PIB Legal Blog, 05.07.2018
- The PIB Legal Blog, 04.24.2018
- Acting Director Mulvaney Asks Congress to Limit the Independence of the Consumer Financial Protection BureauThe PIB Legal Blog, 04.10.2018
- The PIB Legal Blog, 02.18.2018