Melinda C. Cox is a Partner with PIB Law. She has extensive litigation experience in civil matters, with a particular emphasis on issues in real estate redevelopment, condemnation and land use, in both regulatory compliance and litigation. Melinda's current practice focuses on the representation of financial institutions in the mortgage banking industry in litigation, compliance and regulatory matters, including foreclosures and bankruptcy proceedings, in both state and federal proceedings.
Prior to joining the Firm, Melinda served as law clerk to the Honorable Michael A. Shipp, U.S.M.J., in the United States District Court for the District of New Jersey, where she assisted with preparing for and conducting preliminary proceedings in civil and criminal cases. She researched and drafted proposed opinions and memoranda, as well as comprehensive reports and recommendations for dispositive motions, in a variety of civil matters, including consumer fraud and debt, securities regulation, fair debt collection, class actions, and labor and employment matters. Prior to her clerkship, Melinda was an Associate at the law firm of Wilentz, Goldman & Spitzer, P.A., on the firm's Redevelopment Team, Redevelopment Strategic Business Unit Team and the Commercial Real Estate Team, where she drafted redevelopment and finance agreements, assisted with various transactional and regulatory matters, and litigated cases involving redevelopment, land use, condemnation, real estate, and environmental issues.
Community & Professional
Hispanic National Bar Association, Member
New York State Bar Association
Hispanic Bar Association of New Jersey, Membership Secretary (Co-founder of the Young Lawyers Committee)
National Women’s Law Center Leadership Advisory Committee, Member
New Jersey State Bar Association
- Professional Ethics Committee, Member (2017 to Present)
- Leadership Academy, 2016 Graduate and 2018 Selection Committee
New Jersey Women Lawyers Association, Member
New Jersey Super Lawyers Rising Star, 2014-2018
2017 Senate and General Assembly Joint Legislative Resolution by Senator Lesniak, Assemblywoman Annette Quijano, and Assemblyman Holley for Professional Recognition and Praise
2018 Executive Women of New Jersey, Honoree, Salute to Policy Makers Gala
- Melinda Colón Cox appointed by the New Jersey State Bar Association as a member of the Professional Responsibility Committee for the 2017-2018 term01.04.2018
- Melinda Colón Cox Addresses Law Students and Attorney Mentors at the Hispanic Bar Association of New Jersey’s Mentorship Program Kickoff Event at Rutgers Law School-Newark11.29.2017
"No One Gets a Free House" – New Jersey’s Statute of Limitations Period for Foreclosures Upheld, Hispanic Bar Association of New Jersey, Abogados (Oct. 2015 ed.)
“Yes, We Can!” – Minority Women Attorneys & Politics, 14:3 The Woman Advocate, ABA – Section of Litigation 1 (Spring 2009) (co-authored with Julia Lopez and Erica Rodriguez).
Gallenthin: Reaffirming NJ’s Progressive Views on Redevelopment Law, N.J. Lawyer (Jan. 28, 2008) (co-authored with Anne S. Babineau, Esq.).
- New Jersey
- New York
- District of New Jersey
- Eastern District of New York
- Northern District of New York
- Southern District of New York
- Second Circuit Court of Appeals
Rutgers School of Law - Newark, J.D.
- Senior Articles Editor for the Rutgers Law Review
- President of the Association of Latin American Law Students
- Student Bar Association Class Representative
- Co-Chair of the Student Affairs Committee for the Minority Student Program
Union College, B.A., magna cum laude
- The Honorable Michael A. Shipp, U.S.M.J., in the United States District Court for the District of New Jersey