Kathy is the Co-Chair of the Insurance Practice Group.
She focuses her practice on civil litigation and trial practice. Her career has spanned over 20 years and during that time, she has become a leading trial attorney in Southern California as well as an expert in litigation management. Her expertise in handling matters ranging from employment law and consumer actions to commercial disputes has allowed her to earn a position of great respect among her peers.
Before joining PIB Law, Kathy was a founding partner at McClure & Carter. She joined her practice with Hollins Law in 2002 where she effectively represented large national corporations in multi-million dollar lawsuits, won seven figure damage awards for clients involved in personal injury cases, and successfully defended an international firm in a high stakes class action matter. Her reputation and results have caused clients to seek her assistance in multiple jurisdictions including Nevada, Washington, Delaware, Indiana and Georgia.
- Obtained $10 million settlement in commercial dispute involving copyright infringement on behalf of a leading national corporation against largest clothing retailer in the United States.
- Tried commercial dispute between multiple corporations and shareholders regarding stock disputes and ownership rights obtaining verdict for client corporation in excess of $1.5 million.
- Defended successfully class action litigation against large international corporation defeating certification of class claims under the Song Beverly Act and California Consumer Legal Remedies Act.
- Tried brain injury case against corporation to jury verdict resulting in settlement of approximately $1 million.
- Won defense jury verdict in failure to engage in interactive process and disability discrimination case on behalf of employer involving effects of medication and transient disability.
- Successfully defended overtime, meal and rest period case by a part-time school teacher and administrative assistant against a private school employer.
- Defensed age discrimination claim by senior management employee against non-profit organization.
- Obtained jury award in collection claim while successfully defending cross-complaint alleging FDCPA violations.
- Successfully defended multi-plaintiff lawsuit involving claims of improper condominium conversion in Los Angeles County asserting violations of Los Angeles Municipal Code and California Government Code as well as unfair competition claims.
- Obtained defense jury verdict in bad faith lawsuit against large insurer.
- Won $17.5 million jury verdict in paraplegia case for 36 year old man injured in a construction site accident, representing the highest gross verdict at the time for an individual plaintiff in the Rancho Cucamonga branch of the San Bernardino Superior Court.
- Successfully prosecuted commercial contract claim for international media company while simultaneously defensing cross-complaint for breach of contract and fraud seeking in excess of $3 million in alleged lost profit.
- Successfully prosecuted fraud claim in residential and real estate transaction receiving in excess of $1 million.
- Defensed wrongful eviction and habitability claims on behalf of residential landlord in multi-unit condominium building.
Succeeded in limiting the application of the Song Beverly Act to consumer credit transactions in published appellate decision in Archer vs United Rentals.
Designated National Coordinating Counsel for a National Insurer for certain classes of claims.
Community & Professional
American Board of Trial Advocates
Orange County Bar Association
Los Angeles County Bar Association
National Association of Professional and Executive Women
BUZZ, An Executive Women's Think Tank
National Association of Minority & Women Owned Law Firms
Women's Business Enterprise National Counsel
- California Supreme Court Applies “ABC” Test to Determine Whether Workers are Employees or Inedependent ContractorsThe PIB Legal Blog, 10.11.2018
- California Court Rules Plaintiff with Medical Insurance Can Introduce Full Amount Billed As Evidence of Medical DamagesThe PIB Legal Blog, 06.18.2018
- U.S. Supreme Court Upholds Enforceability of Arbitration Agreements in which Employees Agree to Arbitrate Individual Claims Against an EmployerThe PIB Legal Blog, 06.15.2018
- The PIB Legal Blog, 06.14.2018
- The PIB Legal Blog, 05.08.2018
- Ninth Circuit Rules that Prior Salary Alone Cannot Justify Payment of Lower Wages to Female EmployeesThe PIB Legal Blog, 05.01.2018
- Order in Hotly Contested Gender Discrimination Case Against Google Could Set A New Standard In California Class Action PleadingThe PIB Legal Blog, 04.12.2018
- Appellate Litigation
- Brand and Product Litigation
- Class Actions
- Commercial Litigation
- Construction Law
- Consumer Financial Services
- Corporate Compliance and Internal Investigations
- Crisis Management
- Insurance and Reinsurance
- Investment Management Litigation
- Multidisciplinary Client Teams
- Trade Secrets
- Trial and Class Action
- Unfair Competition
- Central District of California
- Northern District of California
- Southern District of California
- Eastern District of California
- Southern District of Indiana
- Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals
- Third Circuit Court of Appeals
- United States Court of Federal Claims
- United States Supreme Court
Pepperdine University, M.B.A.
Vermont Law School, J.D., cum laude
- American Jurisprudence Award for Property, Conflicts of Law and Moot Court
- Award of Excellency in Appellate Advocacy, Thomas M. Debevoise Invitational Moot Court Competition
Saint Anselm College, B.A.